Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cognitive overload!

I have been busy busy busy.  Lurking ain't easy! lol Lurking around Lonely Planet  and its social media tools can feel never-ending.  I've now taken pages of notes but have yet to finish the first draft of my community paper.
I've also been busy (but enjoying it a bit more...a lot more) actively participating in Tripadvisor's online community.

On another note, I've also been busy trying out new tools.  I tried Edublog, Quora, and Wordpress.

Funny story about how I got interested in Wordpress; for the past week I have been on an amazing road-trip. We had just made it to Arches National Park, when I crossed the street towards the visitor's center behind an RV and as I was checking it out (I dream of traveling the country via RV one day) I noticed they had their blog address printed on the back of it, "ourjoyride.wordpress.com".  I immediately got on my phone and checked them out. They are living the dream and blogging along the way!

So, what can I say about the tools I tried this week?

Edublog= I liked how it has a step-by-step guide that you can follow to get started.  It has all the basics of any blog; dashboard, themes, posts publishing, and so on, but also has classroom/teacher specific tools. There's lots and lots to do, including an Edublog teacher challenge.  So far, I've chosen my title and theme.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but there's lots to think about.  I'm hoping to use this Edublog with my classes next school year.  
Easy to follow links depending on what you want to do.


Wordpress= So far, I haven't had too much time to play with this tool, other than the basics of setting it up.  I think I like it better (if not way better than blogger).  I'm planning on using this as my main platform for prdusage #2.  It's easy to click around and figure out what to do.  For some reason I liked the old blogger but I haven't been able to grasp the new one.  In Wordpress, I particularly like the Daily Prompt and Weekly Photo Challenge, they are inspirational and help me get ideas for my own blog.

Quora= This tool was a nice break from reading how to create blogs, making choices, and planning ahead.  It was very distracting and it sucked me right in! I created my profile, selected topics of interest and immediately got active with it. It's like reading a newsfeed personalized for you and all you like to read about.  I definitely see myself using Quora long-term.

I'm tired of clicking and reading...but this cognitive overload is definite sign that I'm learning.  Nothing that's worthwile is ever easy. :) 



4 comments:

  1. My husband has used edublogs with great success. If you have any questions, let me know!

    I liked old blogger better, too.

    And yes, you're learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played with Edublog some more today. I'm trying to set it up for this coming school year. I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade to Edublog Pro to be able to create a class. Would your husband recommend I upgrade and create classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He upgraded and thought it was worthwhile. He wanted to control things and maintain some privacy because he was teaching a history of religion class and students would be blogging about, among other things, their own religious beliefs (so, not necessarily something you want on the open web, nor something folks are always comfortable with).

      Delete
  3. Awesome, it's not expensive, so I will most likely upgrade as well. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete