Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Finding online communities

Looking into online communities, what they are, and which ones to join for the online community paper due on week 4, I came across this website http://socialmediatoday.com/elliot-volkman/343142/what-online-community which was quite helpful. It provided a clear definition s to what an online community consists of and also clarified what 'tool' meant in an online community.  

For the online community paper, we are to present the context and tools (among other things) of the community we are following.  I was confused about what 'tools' meant.  I thought "isn't the page the community is on the 'tool'?" As I understand it now (and I hope I'm correct) the tools that an online community uses are those that enable it to disseminate information, share, and post to other media outlets. 

I also found this one http://www.instructionaldesigncentral.com/htm/IDC_instructionaldesignsites.htm which I used to select which two online communities to follow.  

Ok, off I go to participate and lurk around!


1 comment:

  1. Yep, you've got it. So, in our class, we use blogs, twitter, diigo and a wiki, all connected on a central blog. Other communities might use a Facebook Group. Or a discussion board. Think a bit about how different tools shape communication/interactions.

    ReplyDelete