Ok...lots to say here!
I started thinking about how I felt on such issues such as authorship, copyright, and open access and its impact on my ability and willingness to engage with web 2.0 tools. Then I realized I didn't have much to say. lol So I searched the internet.
It was funny because after my search query the first page was filled with blogs from EME6414..... so I searched further.
I came across an article by McGrail & McGrail, 2010, "Copying right and Copying wrong with Web2.0 tools in the Teacher Education and Communications Classrooms". It is so relevant to my life, both personally and professionally.
As I teacher I often assigned students with projects which involve the use of images, videos, audio, and other resources. Oftentimes they create the content themselves, however often enough, they find the content on the Internet.
As a student, amateur blogger, and recreational social media user, I 'acquire' content from the Internet as well. It may not present a huge issue in my life at the moment, but it could. Any tine we share content through the use of Web 2.0 tools for mass publication (such as our blogs for example) we run into copyright issues. If we are not the original authors or creators of content, we must give credit where credit is due. A problem that arises with such ease of sharing and mass publication via the internet, is the level of difficulty, sometimes, of actually finding the original author/creator.
MCGrail and McGrail, 2010, mention "We wish to prepare our students for responsible and ethical participation in the newest forms of creative expression in our age. Such preparation is a cornerstone of free speech and democratic citizenship for the future." This is enough for me to keep reading and learning on the topic of copyright, authorship, and open access. At this stage in my personal education, I am simply aware of how much I don't know and need to learn, but I am well on my way.
P.S. I posted about my reading to Tappestry! (and I got 3 ratings on my previous post lol)
References
McGrail, E, & McGrail, J. P. (2010). Copying right and copying wrong with web 2.0 tools in the teacher education and communications classrooms. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 10(3). Retrieved fromhttp://www.citejournal.org/vol10/iss3/languagearts/article1.cfm

No comments:
Post a Comment