Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trying out Tappestry....and liking it?

So today I tried Tappestry for the first time.  I actually had never heard of it before this course.  So, what is it? Basically it's an app where one can keep track of things learned or things they wish to learn.

Here's some of the features that I liked about it:
  • There's a 3 minute video demo you can watch.
  • Once you download the app, there's a tutorial you can follow, explaining how to use the app.
  • You can categorize, link, and tag what you learn by topic.
  • You can sign in using Twitter or Facebook.  This helps me not have to remember yet another username and password.
  • You can control your posts if you want to make them public, share them with contacts only, or keep it private for yourself.
  • You can rate your post 1-4 stars, depending on how you judge its importance to you.
  • Others can comment on your posts, as you can comment on theirs, which enables sharing of information and possibly expanding one's knowledge. 

Here's some of the features that I didn't like about it:
  • I can't turn off the tutorial and it's slightly annoying every time I start the app.
  • Either the entire app has only approximately 10 users, or I haven't figured out how to see a public display of everyone's posts.
  • It wouldn't let me sign in with Twitter, so it left me no choice but to sign in with Facebook.  Not a terrible thing...but dislike nonetheless.
  • I don't fully grasp how this tool can help me expand my knowledge....I'm hoping it's because I'm still disconnected from others.
I like the concept of being connected to others with the same learning topics....but since I can't seem to use it effectively....I'm not sure if I fully like it yet.

Does anyone have a Tappestry account? 

No comments:

Post a Comment