Saturday, July 6, 2013

Revolution happens when society adopts new behaviors.

My dream is to one day open a blended learning classroom.  I imagine it will be made up of online courses and f2f classes which will be individually geared towards each student.  Furthermore, I would love to include classes for parents on topics such as parenting styles, problem behaviors, and child development.  As far as I'm concerned this doesn't exist.  Oftentimes when I'm asked what I plan on doing once I graduate I answer "I'm not sure", which is usually followed by a question such as "well, what job do you want to get?" to which I answer "it doesn't exist yet".  I realized early in my teaching career that my students (10 years younger than I) were going to be better prepared for future jobs than I was.  Indeed, when I went to high school, many of today's jobs didn't exist.

What didn't exist when I went to high school were these Web 2.0 tools.  The web and its' 2.0 tools have allowed for communication, cooperation, and action in ways we hadn't imagined.  To think that education would continue in a conventional/traditional manner is an archaic thought at this day and age.  This is one of the challenges faced by educational institutions.  

The same way that the media and web2.0 tools enabled dissemination of sexual molestation stories as the ones faced by the Church in 2002 (for example), these tools can and are being used for/by various institutions today for breaking barriers between the way people communicate.  Shirky, 2012, states that "the possibilities of global organization enabled by those tools continue to grow" (pg. 158). And this is exactly why I'm so heart-set on opening my own blended learning school.  The goal is not only to keep up with the times, but rather to cash-in (so to speak) on these available tools, in order to improve (my vision) education.  

Many think that home-schooling isn't effective.  I believe that 'home' is exactly where learning happens the most.  Why not combine formal education with a home environment, place the student at the center of his/her learning, and totally involve parents into the mix? 

Yea, that's my idea.  We shall see :)

(here's a little online home-school fail just for laughs)

No comments:

Post a Comment