This isn't my first account on Blogger. I once had a blog I used in conjunction with an A.P. Psychology course I taught. I've also once attempted to make a personal blog under a pseudo name where I was hoping to post about my personal (mostly unconventional) experiences, thoughts, and ideas, that I didn't feel comfortable publicizing since I am, after all, a public high school teacher. So here I am once again, glad to HAVE to blog as per the course requirement, so that I can once-and-for-all become a 'real-life' blogger. So, am I a leader or a follower in this realm? I would say that I'm most definitely a follower since I haven't yet found my true 'online' identity nor have I found a medium that I truly love to make my 'online home'. I do however plan on implementing Web2.0 tools in my future career (be it in my classroom, in the corporate world, or one day when I open my own school) and I would even love to start my own personal blog where I can document trips, experiences, political perspectives, and the such. I have high hopes that this course will provide me with enough challenges, tools, and experience, so that upon completion, I will be ready to take-on my blogging plans.
Ah ... a formerly psuedonymous blogger. :)
ReplyDeleteI have done research on folks who blog under pseudonyms. It's a rich practice, often resulting in the development of community. Was that your experience, or did you mostly blog alone?
Psuedonymous! I like that term :) I received no love on my pseudonym blog, but it was a great experience overall journaling and also it helped me get a better idea on which online identity I wanted to portray. I mentioned that I had "unconventional" posts, but in my personal experience these weren't taboo or illegal, just questionable information to share publicly being a high school teacher, like political views and whatnot.
DeleteOnline identity is something well worth considering - you'll get into thinking about that when we do the community paper (it's totally relevant there).
DeleteAnd yeah, as a teacher you probably don't want to blog under your real name unless all you're doing is posting assignments for your class.