Let's consider for a moment the definition of the term instructional:
Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines it as 2."the action, practice, or profession of teaching". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instruction
Based on this broad definition, I would make the argument that TED talks and therefore also Web2.0 tools can be both informative and instructional. Ted talks can teach something in a very brief 20 minute lecture.
Let's consider other Web2.0 platforms such as Facebook. Fb tends to be more of a 'social' network platform. How many people would describe Fb as an instructional medium? I will! Just to make a point! Consider this:
This is one example of how Web2.0 can be a source for (in this example) informal learning. Some of my friends and I are big on all-natural diets and try by any means possible to share our knowledge about GMOs and the such with everyone. Not a lot of adults will listen to you preach about nutrition, as most adults believe that they know what's best for themselves. Posting links to existing research, articles, websites, and the such on Fb can prove to be a more passive way of disseminating information to others without being all in their face "here learn about this". In the example shown above, one woman read the article and shared it with her husband, the other person clearly states "social media alone is making such a huge difference educating people". What a great time to be alive!
Hi Maga!
ReplyDeleteI love your perspective. Yes, Fb can be definitely an instructional medium. Actually, I use Fb's GROUP page as my instructional way. I and my academic friends are involved in a certain group page, and we share something good, impressive, and educative. The group page functions as a good medium to share, communicate, facilitate learning!
Thanks for your comment! I must admit that I may have gotten a bit over-exited upon noticing my very first comment lol
ReplyDeleteI've heard of groups being formed on Fb but truthfully I get a bit overwhelmed with all the available options given on Fb. I forget which groups I've joined, I don't read them, or I never get around to grouping certain friends (for example my academic friends) into a specific group.
This very first week in this course has already made me break through some fear-thresholds or apprehensions I've had with Web 2.0 tools. I think for me the issue is I get overwhelmed very quickly because my brain wants to know it all right away!
I'm sure I will get a lot out of our course!
Thanks for your comment :)