Sunday, June 30, 2013

Academic use of Web2.0 tools and privacy issues

I am currently writing a paper for another course and I've selected the topic to be on Web 2.0 tools and trends.  Therefore I am able to make connections between the two courses that I'm currently enrolled in.  One issue I've come across (personally) by creating this blog and previously when I created another blog for use with a course I taught, was that of privacy. This issue of privacy was one of the topics that came up as I was researching Web 2.0 tools.
As much as the Web has opened various doors of communication enabling students to attend class remotely, providing access to online libraries, enabling bookmarks, cooperative editing, tagging, and the such, it can also pose problems.  One such issue is that of privacy.  In the world wide web, things may live forever.  Even when one takes the precautionary steps to maintain posts private, it is as easy as a screenshot by a follower to copy the post and disseminate it.  
Basically, a good thing to keep in mind would be to never publish something that could have negative repercussions.  As much freedom as the web can bring, it can also be limiting in this manner.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, exactly! This is an area of scholarship that I've been very interested in (ethics and privacy on the web). I think it's an instructor's responsibility to communicate options to students, to be flexible, and to generally educate them about possibilities (e.g., using a pseudonym). However, on a recent manuscript I submitted about this very point, a reviewer expressed an extremely different point of view, suggesting it is ridiculous to think that an instructor should hold any responsibility for a student's privacy online. Frankly, that comment fueled the fire even more for me -- the message needs to get out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! As an instructor of any level,high school or graduate school, it's ones responsibility to 'teach' a student (again regardless of level) about options, possibilities, scope, and the such. Teaching about web 2.0 tools without teaching about privacy is just not complete instruction in my opinion. Now, at the same time, it isn't the instructor's responsibility to maintain a student's privacy online, but they should still teach it.

    ReplyDelete